Friday, December 26, 2008

Bill Maher's final comment from Religulous

I just saw the Youtube clip of Bill Maher's final comment from Religulous.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIZWDyMLGIQ
I had been interested in seeing the whole thing, even though I knew I was going to disagree. Now, it seems that he is just on this same old bandwagon to destroy religion -- nothing new. It is a combination of Feuerbach (God is the invention of people who "need" him), Marx (Religion is the opiate of the masses and is all about power and control of others), war arguments (Religion must be bad because of all the violence it has produced) and personal arrogance ("No one knows for sure what happens after death because I don't know..."). Admittedly, Bill Maher has very cool and disturbing images to add to these arguments, but I didn't see anything else new. His closing call is to abandon religion...it seems, even, suppress religion. I wondered if he wants to suppress it by force (He calls on atheists to "rise up"). What kind of religion is Bill Maher trying to create?
I don't care for John Hick's conclusion to comparative religions (they all must be right) nor Bill Maher's conclusion (they all must be wrong). Can we get a little balance, please?

No comments: