Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Sex Offender Lists are Not Helpful or biblical

I'll admit that I'm almost a foreigner in this country anymore. But what is the point of the sex offender lists? To warn people that there are potentially harmful people in their neighborhood. That assumes that everyone else is ok, right? Then why have parents been telling their children since I was a children not to get in a car with a stranger? The lists must, then, be for checking out your friends and others you would ordinarily trust. That seems weird. Is it that the government thinks we are going to trust people too readily? That hasn't been my experience in America. What good are they, then? I don't see it.
Besides that, these lists assume that (1) a sex offender is not going to repent, and (2) a non-sex-offender is not going to do anything harmful. Do either of these seem sure? On the positive side, is there no change in people? Does grace not operate for sex offenders?
No, I don't see the point.

No comments: