Saturday, January 17, 2009

The transmission of personality to children...perhaps

Children inherit lots of traits from their parents. Some of those traits are temporary in the parents. Say a person was going through a very wild stage in her life and conceived a child. That child tends to be more wild than children conceived at other times during that mother's life (this is an personal unscientific observation and not an established fact). Previously, all I could do was (however unsatisfactorily) attribute this to the transmission of the soul from parent to child. I have become increasingly uncomfortable separating out qualities to only one "part" of the human being because I believe so strongly in the interaction of the person.


This news article talks about that lasting impact of chocolate (for two weeks) in genes and could even be inherited. Why not think, then, that the lifestyle choices a person is making could be inherited as well by the offspring of that time period.
Could we also suppose that genes change with time? I'm not the same "person" (identical genes) today that I was 20 years ago. I like this idea (I wonder if it will be proved some day.)

I like it because sanctification, the process of not just imitating but being more like God, takes a long time...even generations. It just makes sense that the lifestyle choices we make affects our genes which enables more lifestyle transformation AND that these changes are transferable to succeeding generations.

I have never been one for a "theistic evolutionary approach to creation" but I certainly see microevolution in effect. Here is an example of that in a holistic manner. Evolutionary sanctification. Interesting.

Food choices stamped on genes - study

Food Choices Stamped on Genes - study

AAP January 16, 2009 06:41pm

THAT chocolate bar you've consumed won't only affect the way you fit your jeans, new Australian research shows it also has a lasting effect on your genes....

No comments: